Free interactive Neighbourhhod website
Municipal Services

YORK REGION
York Region Facts
Regional Demographics
York -About us

MUNICIPAL
AURORA
905-727-1375,
info@aurora.ca
NEWMARKET
905-895-5193,
info@newmarket.ca
 
RICHMONDHILL/OAK RIDGES
905- 771-8800,
access@richmondhill.ca

EAST GWILLIMBURY
905-478-4282,
customerservice@eastgwillimbury.ca
GEORGINA

905)-476-4301,
info@georgina.ca
VAUGHAN
905-832-2281,
accessvaughan@vaughan.ca
MARKHAM
905-477-5503,
customerservice@markham.ca
KING

905-833-5321,
customer service@king.ca
WHITCHURCH/ Stouffville
905-640-1900       

LEGAL
LEGAL AID  905-898-3943
www.legalaid.on.ca
TENANT PROTECTION  416-645-8080
www.orht.gov.on.ca

TRANSIT
GO   –   1-888-438-6646
YRT    www.yrt.ca -1-866-668-3978
Specialized -1-866-744-1119
VIVA ” New” – 905-886-6767
Via Rail  – 1-888-842-7245

Neighbourhoods

 Aurora

Newmarket

East Gwillimbury

Oak Ridges

  • The Humberlands **

Keswick

  • By The Lake **
  • Simcoe Landing **

Stouffville

  • Trail of the Woods **
  • Bethesda Forest **
  • Cornell **

Barrie

  • Edgehill park **

  
** Coming soon.

My Neighbourhood

i love my neighbourhood news school i love shopping

Summer Hill

Summerhill is a very large subdivision in the Town of Newmarket. It is located on the west side of town on both the north and south side of Mulock Dr. between Bathurst and Yonge St.
This neighbourhood began about 1995The North and boasted the newest styling and open concept floor plans. There is a wonderful mix of homes sizes and styles to suit every homeowner budget. Detached 2 story and bungalow homes, semi detached and townhomes are all available in varying price ranges.
The street layout for both the north and south areas is comprised of many crescents, curves and cul de sacs designed for the safety of young families as it is a fairly private neighbourhood with not a lot of through traffic.
Summerhill has amazing access to the abundant selection of shops and restaurants along the Yonge St corridor, as well as on the fringes of their own neighbourhood.  Upper Canada Mall is close by and public transportation runs thru both sides of this neighbourhood.
Mulock Dr the divider between North and South is a 4 lane rd that connects to 404 hwy for easy commuting to the east side of downtown Toronto. Mulock Dr also heads west and then Bathurst St. provides access to Davis Dr and its about 5 minutes to  the 400 interchange which gives ideal access to Toronto or heads up into cottage country on the weekends.
The North side of Summerhill  was built by H&R, Acorn and Tribute homes and the first homes were occupied in Summerhill North in 1995, which is on the north side of Mulock Ave. 
Summerhill is a very family oriented Subdivision with a variety of homes from Detached, semis and townhomes up to about 4000 sq ft.
These homes show modern styling with open concept, use of pillars, 1/2 walls, 9 ft ceilings and lovely curved transom style windows. Many of these homes upgraded to hardwood floors as a standard feature.
There is an abundance of parks with kids playground equipment, with natural green space and loads of walking trails, both groomed and natural. Its an easy walk to Yonge St. which abounds with shops, restaurants and services.


Town of Newmarket

The Town of Newmarket is a municipality in the heart of Region of York, represented by nine Councillors, including Mayor Newmarket covers a 14.2 square miles (38.07 square kilometres) area in the heart of York Region, midway between downtown Toronto and Barrie.People: The Town of Newmarket is a multicultural community with a population of 84,000. This number is projected to grow to 98,000 by 2026. From 1991-2006, the Town of Newmarket’s population has risen by 63.4 % while the GTA average has risen by 53.1%. (Source: Statistics Canada, 2006 Census of Canada)

Features: The Town of Newmarket has a small town charm, with big city conveniences. The close proximity to Toronto makes it attractive to business and citizens. A gentle blend of land-uses makes Newmarket a perfect location for young families and professionals alike. The Town of Newmarket is the home of York Regional Headquarters, and Southlake Regional Health Centre.Main Street is a unique experience with early 1800s styled historic architecture, streetlights, and custom grown flower barrels. Its proximity to the Holland River Trail System and Fairy Lake allows for recreational, cultural and arts activities. Local businesses provide boutiques, patio eateries, live theatres and a seasonal farmer’s market in a vibrant setting. Also located on Main Street is the Elman W. Campbell Museum, which has a collection of Newmarket artifacts.Upper Canada Mall is another great shopping experience, with over 1,000,000-square-feet and 250 stores, located along a bustling Yonge Street corridor. Newmarket has over 70 parks and nature trails including the Wesley Brooks Memorial Conservation Area/Fairy Lake and the Mabel Davis Conservation Area.

Residents are welcomed and encouraged to utilize Newmarket’s many excellent recreation facilities which are available at reasonable rates for meetings, recreation programs, fund raising events, social activities and much more! The Magna Centre is a state-of-the-art recreation complex and features an Olympic-sized and three NHL-sized arenas, a 25-metre community pool and 21-metre learning pool, a full-sized gymnasium and walking track, three multi-purpose rooms, a restaurant and a pro shop. The Ray Twinney Recreation Complex features two arenas, a large indoor pool, all with spectator seating, snack bars and change room facilities.

For more information on the Town of Newmarket, e-mail info@newmarket.ca.

Small Town Charm, Big City Conveniences

Since 1991, the Newmarket population has grown from 45,000 to a boasting population of 84,000. Commercial area expansions have introduced many new industries, offering more goods, services, and increased job opportunities. Newmarket covers 22-square-km in the heart of the York region with a strong commercial base and small town atmosphere. “It’s basically a town in a country setting,” says Wanda Bennett, manager of corporate communications for the Town of Newmarket. One perfect example to illustrate Bennett’s description is Newmarket’s Main Street. “It’s a cute, quaint place to be; a green environment with small town appeal and many downtown amenities,” explains Bennett.

Main Street is a unique experience with early 1800’s styled historic architecture, streetlights, and custom grown flower barrels. It’s proximity to the Holland River Trail System and Fairy Lake allows for recreational, cultural and arts activities. Local businesses provide boutiques, patio eateries, live theatres and a seasonal farmer’s market in a vibrant setting. Also located on Main Street is the Elman W. Campbell Museum, which has a collection of Newmarket artifacts.

Upper Canada Mall is another great shopping experience, with over 1,000,000-square-feet and 250 stores. Newmarket also has 300 acres of parkland and nature trails, three public arenas, two indoor pools, and a variety of programs for all ages.

The outburst in growth over the past decade shows the attraction to the town. Bennett explains, “People are leaving the big city for communities with more character and neighbourly feeling. Here you have big city amenities, combined with small town character that you don’t get anywhere else.


A brief history of the Town of Newmarket

In June, 1800, Timothy Rogers, a Vermont Quaker, explored the area around the Holland River and up to Lake Simcoe to find a suitable location for a contemplated Quaker settlement. The Quakers were disturbed as a result of difficulties encountered when this peaceful sect refused to take part in the rioting and bloodshed of the American Revolutionists. In 1801, Rogers, leading several Quaker families, left their homes in Vermont and Pennsylvania and secured land grants of 8,000 acres located at the east end of lots 93, 94, and 95 along Yonge Street in the former Townships of Whitchurch and King. It was easy for them to see the potential in these fertile rolling lands, through which flowed the Holland River, an important trading artery for both aboriginals and fur traders.

Having arrived in the spring, these first Quaker settlers immediately began the arduous task of clearing the land for their homes and farms. Indeed, By Christmas of 1801, Joseph Hill had constructed a mill on the Holland River at what is now Fairy Lake, around which the settlement to be known as Newmarket sprouted. Over the years, Mr. Hill also built a tannery and the first store and house, as well as additional mills. It is unfortunate that this enterprising man, embittered over the terms of an 1804 sale of the north half of lot 93 to Elisha Beman, returned saddened and disappointed to the United States in 1812.

Elisha Beman, through his marriage to Esther Sayre Robinson, the widow of Christopher Robinson, a distinguished United Empire Loyalist and member of the Legislative Assembly, gained an entree to the establishment and preferential treatment through the Family Compact. When with his stepsons, Peter Robinson, John Beverly Robinson and William Beverly Robinson, Beman obtained control of the mill, he quickly added distilling and trading businesses, thus increasing his holdings and making a significant contribution to the economic growth of the community then known as “Upper Yonge Street”. It is interesting to note that Peter Robinson founded the village of Holland Landing, just north of Newmarket, as well as the City of Peterborough, which bears his name.

The contributions by the early arrivals to this community are acknowledged through the town’s practice over the years of naming streets in their honour. You may already be familiar with the names of many of the Town’s forefathers, gleaned by walks in your neighbourhood or drives through the Town. Let us introduce some of them to you now.

In 1805 John Bogart built a saw-mill where the community of Bogarttown is today. This was followed by the construction of a grist mill in 1806. Eli Gorham built a carding and woollen mill in 1808. It is reputed to be the first such mill in Upper Canada. Timothy Millard, who arrived in 1812 constructed a grist mill on Queen Street. William Roe, at the age of 17, was employed by the Receiver General when war broke out with the Americans in 1812. He was entrusted with a considerable portion of government funds, which he managed to hide from the invading forces upon the capture of York in 1813.

Arriving in 1809, Dr. Christopher Beswick was the first physician in the community. Dr. Beswick has the distinction of living to the age of 118. He donated considerable property to the Anglican church. Dr. Beswick is buried in the Eagle Street cemetery as are a number of early residents of the Town. Most of the early Quaker settlers are laid to rest in the Orthodox Quaker Burying Ground and others in the Hicksite Burying Ground, both on Yonge Street.

In its first 50 years, the community grew and prospered. Farmers’ markets were held regularly on Saturdays and were well-attended because purchasers were spared the long journey to York. Although it was essentially an agricultural community, it provided a busy centre for commerce and small industry. It is believed that the name Newmarket evolved as a result of the trading that took place, while York (not Toronto) was the ‘old market’, this new centre of commerce became the “New Market”.

Many factors helped to shape this growing community. One which had a significant impact was the Rebellion of 1837. Newmarket was a focal point of discontent against the manipulations of the governing Family Compact, of whom it was said “were robbing the country”. This anger grew to the explosive point with the general election in 1836. When the new “Constitutional Reform Party of Upper Canada” was defeated, and grievances of the settlers were not addressed, there was no holding back the tide of rebellion. The rebellion was quickly crushed and William Lyon MacKenzie fled to asylum in the United States, Two participants in the uprising were hung, one of whom, Samuel Lount, was from the Newmarket area. The death warrant was signed by Sir John Beverly Robinson.

By the mid 1800’s the fur trade had come to an end and the aboriginals were no longer trading along the Holland River. A local newspaper, the “New Era”, was started in 1852 and in 1853 with Erastus Jackson as its editor was renamed the “Newmarket Era”. With the coming of the steam railway the same year, Newmarket experienced another surge of prosperity and growth making it the most important village north of Toronto.

Newmarket was incorporated as a village in 1857 with a population of 700. Schools were built, many small industries were started, dry goods and grocery stores flourished. In 1880, with a population o f 2,000, Newmarket became a Town and William Cane was elected as its first Mayor. In later years Mr. Cane’s sash and door factory would become the first in Canada to manufacture lead pencils.

The Town suffered many catastrophes over the years including several major fires which destroyed most of the original frame structures on Main Street. Diseases such as typhoid , diphtheria and smallpox took their toll. In 1878 a flood destroyed 10 bridges and residents were without communication for three days. Although these disasters halted progress in the Town for a time, the ultimate result was improvements in building construction, street lighting, fire fighting services, water supply, and health and sanitation measures.

As the twentieth century dawned, many significant events had taken place world-wide which had their effect on many aspects of every day life. The Industrial Revolution, begun in Britain, marked a change from small cottage industry to production on a larger, more cost efficient basis. The development of electricity, telephones, automobiles and radio communication made life easier and created a whole new marketplace. And in Newmarket, industry grew and prospered, among the more notable, the Davis Tannery, Office Specialty and the Cane Furniture and Pencil Factory.

Newmarket benefited from technology with the advent of the Electric Railway in 1902. The railway ran from Toronto to Newmarket and in 1906 was extended north to the trendy summer resort of Jackson’s Point. Newmarket was experiencing a boom, which was to last until the onset of the Great Depression in 1930.

The attempt to build a canal linking Lake Simcoe to the Holland River during the years 1906 to 1911 was one of the foremost topics of controversy on Parliament Hill. This project was apparently entered into with an amazing lack of foresight, there being insufficient water to operate it, thus totally impractical. The scandal brought about as a result of this project and the wasteful expenditure of a large sum of government money contributed significantly to the defeat of the Liberal Government in 1911. With today’s advances in engineering and technology, this idea could now be within the realm of possibility.

By the 1950’s the post-war development boom was well underway. New subdivisions were established and Newmarket experienced a period of tremendous growth. Between 1950 and 1970 Newmarket’s population more than doubled, growing from 5,000 to 11,000.

County Government was replaced by Regional Government in 1971 and as a result Newmarket acquired a portion of lands on its north boundary from the Township of East Gwillimbury, on its west boundary from the Township of King and on the south and east boundary from the Township of Whitchurch. Newmarket’s present boundaries are as follows: On the west, Bathurst Street; on the east, Hwy 404; on the north, one lot south of Green Lane; and on the south, one lot north of St. John’s Sideroad.

The Town’s present population is 71,000. This growth has been accompanied by the expansion of services, facilities and programs to accommodate the physical, social and educational needs of its citizens. New commercial areas have been expanded to meet the demands of the residents for a greater array of goods and services and many new industries have come to Newmarket, bringing with them increased job opportunities.

Newmarket’s numerous parks and recreational facilities offer a wide range of activities for all ages, from exercise programs to microwave cooking, summer day camps and P.A. Day activities for youngsters, or simply the quiet enjoyment of a stroll through Fairy Lake or one of our passive parks. Many community groups and sports associations make use of the community centres and arenas for a variety of programs.

a

York Region

Covers 680 sq miles or 1,756 sq kilometers, The Regional Municipality of York, also called York Region, is a regional municipality in Southern Ontario, Canada, between Lake Simcoe and Toronto. The Regional Municipality of York stretches north from Toronto to Lake Simcoe and includes many hectares of protected Greenbelt. York Region’s diversity is evident in our nine local municipalities, geography, economic development and population. York Region works to provide residents and businesses access to a broad selection of services and resources.

The Regional Municipality of York consists of nine municipalities. Aurora, Newmarket, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King,, Vaughan Richmond Hill, Whitchurch Stouffville and Markham.

Bounded by Hwy 50 and Peel Region on the west and York Durham Rd 30 on the east.

Local government is organized in a two-tier structure. Public transit, water, emergency management and policing are handled by York Region, while curb-side garbage collection, local parks and libraries are the responsibility of each municipality.

 The Regions website provides information on Health services, Transportation, Environment, Community Support, Recreation, Businesses and Services.

Check out: Regional Municipality of York


Interactive Mapping

The Regional Municipality of York, known as York Region, has introduced Interactive Mapping that helps residents and visitors to interactively access information on Recreation and Culture, Community Services, Business Directory, Transportation Management, Cycling Trails, Development Infrastructure, Waste Water management, Source Water Protection, Land Information, Property Management, Property Viewer, Health Inspectors, as well as base maps with street views, terrain views or satellite imagery.

 

It's Miller Time Suzanne Miller Sutton Group Real Estate

Privacy: Any information submitted regarding Name, Address or contact, that is not authorized as part of the necessary info attached to a submission, is necessary to verify that person as a community resident , having FREE use of this community site. This information is exclusive to the Webmaster and sponsor of this site . By submitting information to this site you agree that the webmaster and the Sponsor may contact the persons named on the submit form with web, product, service and real estate related information and updates. This information WILL NOT be distributed to any other parties in any form whatsoever and ONLY the information you authorized will be published on this site/internet.

Further: All content submitted by Residents will be previewed and censored for appropriate content prior to uploading to this site.


Disclaimer: Content and Links to External Websites:

This website contains links or pointers to information created and maintained by other organizations. We are not responsible for the content of these linked websites and do not control or guarantee their accuracy or reliability. Any Information in these links is not endorsed, nor verified as true or absolute. All Parties using this site should verify the authenticity and/or legitimacy of all content before relying on such information. InMyNeighbourhood and its principals are not legally or financial responsible in any way for any losses or damages resulting from the use of this site.

All information that is submitted by residents of the area is previewed for inappropriate content only, but is not verified for accuracy of information or 3rd party links prior to uploading to this site.

All information that is submitted by residents of the area is previewed for inappropriate content only, but is not verified for accuracy of information or 3rd party links prior to uploading to this site.